Re: Replacement for Avaya CNA/RouteScience

  • From: Paul Wall
  • Date: Thu Jul 03 11:25:26 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Drew Weaver <[email protected]> wrote:
>        Howdy for reasons it might be inappropriate to discuss on this list we've decided that we're going to replace our Avaya/RouteScience box and we're looking for recommendations on different solutions for 'BGP management appliances'.
>
>        We're aware of the Internap FCP product, but is there anything else out there besides 'oy, hire a BGP admin ya tool!' that anyone can offer?

Going off this and previous posts, you'd well-served to follow the
advice you sarcastically dispense, and hire an engineer.

Opex and capex (spread over a ~2 year product lifetime) costs for the
above solutions in a small (several gigabits, several transit
providers) environment are right up there with the salary of a junior
to mid-level networking professional in most markets.  By hiring a
live human, you get not only somebody who can tweak localpref, but
also a critical thinker who can aid in troubleshooting outages and
help you plan for growth.

Paul