Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Jun 30 16:45:30 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 06:47:30PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Matthew Petach wrote:
> > Or should I always ensure that resolvers reach my domain explicitly by
> > including the trailing "dot" in all uses, so that my email would be
> > given out as "[email protected]" in the hopes that everyone would correctly
> > remember to add the "." at the end when entering my email address into
> > their mail clients?
>
> Trailing dots in email addresses are a syntax error.

RFC 2822 3.4 punts the components of dot-atom to STD 3/13/14.

STD 13 is RFC 1035, which, in 2.3.1, suggests (but does not impose) a
standard for domain name literals which appears to expand to a pattern
which does not in fact permit a trailing dot.

In fact, Mutt (1.2.5) permits the trailing dot, and delivers the mail,
and all the intervening MTAs (I only tested local mail on my machine,
running Postfix) let the message through -- it came through apparently
having been rewritten by Postfix to lose the trailing dot; there was an
X-Original-To header.

Tony: what authority were you depending on for your assertion, and in
which context do you make it?

Cheers,
-- jr 'comp.mail.headers lives!'
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      [email protected]xxxxxxxxxx

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)