Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: Tony Finch
  • Date: Mon Jun 30 13:48:00 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Or should I always ensure that resolvers reach my domain explicitly by
> including the trailing "dot" in all uses, so that my email would be
> given out as "[email protected]" in the hopes that everyone would correctly
> remember to add the "." at the end when entering my email address into
> their mail clients?

Trailing dots in email addresses are a syntax error.

> In the past, this wasn't really a concern, as you never had a case of a
> single entity owning an entire TLD, and as such you'd never see A or MX
> records showing up for an entire TLD.

Not true. There have been TLDs with MX and A records for a long time,
though they tend to be badly set up, and many MTAs treat single-component
domains specially such that email to these TLDs will often not work.

http://fanf.livejournal.com/72486.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email protected]>  http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: SOUTHWEST BACKING SOUTHEAST 3 OR 4,