Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora'sBox

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Mon Jun 30 13:42:48 2008

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Joe Greco wrote:
> > For example, I *ought* to be able to find the Police Department for the City
> > of Milwaukee at something reasonable, such as "police.ci.milwaukee.wi.us".
> > If I then needed the police for Wauwatosa, "police.ci.wauwatosa.wi.us", or
> > for Waukesha, "police.ci.waukesha.wi.us".
> >
> > To extend that principle, companies that have an exclusively local presence
> > probably don't need to be occupying space in a TLD.  That's the Marty's
> > Pizza example.
>
>   martyspizza.brookfield.wi.us works great.  At what point in Marty's
>   expansion does Marty's Pizza get to move to a TLD?  The RFC leaves
>   management decisions to an alluded to but unnamed group.

That doesn't need to be a "management decision" by some third party group.
That *could* be something we would have guided people through, in the same
way that 1480 provides other guidance.

I see usefulness in having scopes that are local (city/village/etc),
state, country, and global.  There's no reason that you couldn't start
out local, and as you grew, get a state level domain (martyspizza.wi.us),
and if you went national (martyspizza.us), etc.  In many (most!) cases,
businesses do not make significant growth in a rapid fashion.

>   Plus, WTF: John-Muir.Middle.Santa-Monica.K12.CA.US
>   Cut and Paste or die trying.  I doubt parents will remember or type that.

Actually, that has to do with what I was talking about in continuing to
develop a reasonable system.  Quite frankly, if I was in that school
district, I see no reason why my computer couldn't be aware of that
domain, and actually have "http://john-muir"; or some similar mechanism
actually work.  The ideal is probably more complex in implementation,
but does not need to be more complex in use.

>   Besides, sophisticated search engines are making Domain Names less
>   relevant anyway.  I can find Marty's Pizza in Brookfield via Google or
>   Yahoo in a matter of seconds.  Let the search engines organize the web,
>   not DNS.
>
>   Schools are going short and sweet, just like businesses, using the
>   existing TLDs.  martyspizza.net is fine.  So is johnmuirsl.org.  No need
>   for 30 more or 3000 more TLDs.

I would agree that we don't need more TLD's.  But the namespace, as it
exists, is messy, and it's nasty to expect that people will always have
to use a browser and a search engine to find their destination's domain
name.

... JG