Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Mon Jun 30 12:24:52 2008

In the usual way. Try typing this into your browser's address bar:

http://museum/

That was amusing. Firefox very handily took me to a search results page listing results for the word "museum", none of which was the actual page in question.

Gee, it works fine for me in Firefox 2.0.0.14. I'd suggest filing a bug report against your OS vendor to fix their resolver library.

Thanks for all the pointers!  I guess I won't be suggesting the
use of such TLDs as gmail and ymail as a way to shorten up
email addresses for people, given the inconsistent behaviour
of client resolvers.  ^_^;

Too bad. You might try writing the guy whose address is [email protected] (yes, his name is Ian) and see what his experience has been.

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.