Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Sat Jun 28 08:58:25 2008

On Jun 28, 2008, at 4:19 AM, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
Tony Finch wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:
thinking of all the nice security issues which come along (home, mycomputer
and .exe etc anyone ? :)

.exe has the same security properties as .com

not exactly, as a lot of users know that there is something like a .com domain. they will expect something else from .exe

I'm not sure I understand the security threat here. Is the theory that someone will click on "foo.exe" and the fact that it is a URL is somehow worse than if it is an actual executable? If that's not it, can someone explain (small words, with subtitles -- I'm not a security geek).

Thanks,
-drc