Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: Phil Regnauld
  • Date: Sat Jun 28 07:57:04 2008

Rich Kulawiec (rsk) writes:

> Best practice is refuse all mail that comes from any host lacking rDNS,
> since that host doesn't meet the minimum requirements for a mail server.

	No, that's utterly stupid.  You're excluding countries which have
	poor infrastructure or clueless ISPs (usually legacy telco operators)
	who can't be bothered to administrate IN-ADDR.ARPA delegations for
	their customers.  It doesn't help, and only encourages people in
	these countries to go for @{hotmail|yahoo|gmail}.  Millions of botnet
	PCs have valid reverses.

> Yes, some of these also impact non-spamming but broken mail servers,
> however, this is usually the only way to get the attention of their
> operators and persuade them to effect repairs.

	You're kidding, right ?  They don't give a rat's ass.

> Locally, .name, .info and .tv are permanently blacklisted, and I recommend
> this to others: they're all heavily spammer-infested.  .biz is not
> blacklisted at the moment, largely because it's been so badly ravaged
> that spammers *appear* to be abandoning it.

	"Bomb the bridge, salt the earth" approach ?