Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Jun 27 14:06:27 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:24:48 PDT, Scott Francis said:

> serve to increase complexity and add additional confusion to a system
> that the standard user has just now come to grips with
> ("www.company.com will get me Company's official, legitimate page").

Funny you should say that. :)

On my way back from lunch, I heard an ad on the radio for a company in
town that said: "or visit blueridgerealestate.org".

Yep. dot-org, because the dot-com variant is owned by another company
some 50 miles from here.

And doing a 'whois' on both shows that "company" didn't get "company.com"
because somebody else snagged it first.  So it's a crap shoot regarding
whether the .com gets you the "official legitimate page"...