RE: Possible explanations for a large hop in latency

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Jun 27 02:51:02 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

Interestingly enough, when I trace from my Cisco router it seems to show
some MPLS labels after the hop of interest (12.88.71.13 to 12.122.112.78,
only 24 msec here!).  I'm not sure how our Cisco box derives these from a
foreign network.

The ICMP packet (TTL exceeded in transit) contains a copy of the packet which TTL expired, including the labels, so label information is available to traceroute.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]