Re: Possible explanations for a large hop in latency

  • From: Tim Peiffer
  • Date: Thu Jun 26 22:03:49 2008

We had a similar situation going from Minneapolis to Kansas City via Chicago. Normal latency from Minneapolis to Chicago via Level3 MPLS network is about 14msec RTT. When the the circuit from Minneapolis to Chicago went out for one reason or another, our MPLS link went from Minneapolis to Tulsa, to Dallas, and then to Chicago.. That added a little latency in the path from Minneapolis to Chicago.. We didn't need to exceed the SLA in order to cry foul. They didn't intentionally create an inefficient path.. The problem was recognized and fixed the same day.

Latency on an MPLS circuit is the cumulative latency on the Label Switch Path, and a number of the hops are invisible. The latency per hop is still the same... you just can't see that your traffic is travelling to say Denver or Dallas.

Tim Peiffer
Network Support Engineer
Networking and Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota/NorthernLights GigaPOP

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
Thanks for the added information.

Even if their MPLS path went from the midwest (where I'm located) to San
Francisco and then back to St. Louis (where 12.122.112.22 appears to be), I
don't think that accounts for a 70 msec jump in traffic.  And I don't think
they would (intentionally) create such an inefficient MPLS path.

Someone off-list told me they tried to trace to 12.88.71.13, but once they
hit an AT&T router their ICMP traffic appeared to be blocked.

Frank