Re: Possible explanations for a large hop in latency

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu Jun 26 21:16:18 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, John T. Yocum wrote:

The explanation I got, was that the latency seen at the first hop was actually a reply from the last hop in the path across their MPLS network. Hence, all the following hops had very similar latency.

Personally, I thought it was rather strange for them to do that. And, I've never seen that occur on any other network.

This is standard for MPLS, the ICMP TTL expire message is sent along the LSP and returned via the router at the end of the LSP.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]