Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Jun 26 20:45:54 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Jason Williams wrote:

3. It is somewhat anti-social to do so, but, that has rarely been a
constraint on corporate greed, especially amongst the Intelectual
Property crowd.

It doesn't seem to me to be "anti-social" behavior to ensure when your
customers mistype your domain as a .net or .de (depending on the customer's
locale) that they still end up at your site. Definitely, wouldn't ascribe it
as corporate greed.

You are welcome to ascribe it to whatever you want.  I will note that
very few Non-profit organizations engage in such behavior. Very
few governments do so, either. In fact, absent a corporate profit
motive, this behavior seems very rare.

It is my considered opinion that turning control of the Domain Name
system over to WIPO and allowing them to decide that domains
and trademarks had common namespace to ill-defined levels of
degree with different categorical mappings that also had undefined
translations was one of the biggest mistakes in internet history.

Owen