Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Thu Jun 26 19:29:00 2008

Has anyone been able to figure out what it will cost to secure a completely un-contested tld? I haven't been able to find proposed fees anywhere. I think it will be a practical necessity for all organizations to secure their own TLD at the outset, lest someone else secure it for them and leave it up to the court of arbitration.

.. And where, pray-tell, will the mega cash from the TLD auctions be going? Surely ICANN doesn't need a multi-billion $ annual budget, but if these TLD auctions go the way of the cellular auctions, there's a good potential for that kind of an outcome.