Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Jun 26 19:18:07 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

And no, companies *aren't* "forced to pay for another domain name" just
because a new TLD appears -- they aren't doing it *now*, by and large,
and thank ghod:

The last time I looked there were a few thousand companies protecting their intellectual property by using companies like Mark Monitor to insure that they had defensive registrations in all ccTLD's possible.

-M<

Whether some choose to do that or not, I believe that the point is that:

1. Nobody is FORCING them to do so.

2. Most are _NOT_ doing so.

3.	It is somewhat anti-social to do so, but, that has rarely been a
	constraint on corporate greed, especially amongst the Intelectual
	Property crowd.

Owen