Re: IPv4 source routing options and IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header

  • From: Fernando Gont
  • Date: Wed Jun 25 22:08:45 2008

At 05:43 p.m. 25/06/2008, Deepak Jain wrote:

Quite a few times it has been mentioned to me that some peering agreements require support for the IPv4 source routing options. I was wondering whether this is still the case for some ISPs, or it is not the case anymore.

Before we decommissioned our last open peering fabric, source-routing was important to make sure your peer wasn't pointing default (or similar) to you. With the advent of private (and far more limited) bilateral peering as a preference to fabric based peering (at least among the ones who set peering policies globally) this has become
less of an issue.

Thanks so much for your response!

RFC 5095 aside.

Yes, sorry. The question should have been: Has IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header ever been a requirement in v6 peering agreements?

(In any case, I guess Type 0 Routing Header could still be used, in the same way that v4 source-routing was still being used even after many IP implementations had decided to filter it by default?)

Kind regards,

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna[email protected] || [email protected]