Re: IPv4 source routing options and IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Jun 25 08:06:40 2008

On 25 Jun 2008, at 03:55, Fernando Gont wrote:

Quite a few times it has been mentioned to me that some peering agreements require support for the IPv4 source routing options. I was wondering whether this is still the case for some ISPs, or it is not the case anymore.

I was also wondering if it has ever been the case that IPv6 peering agreements have required support for Type 0 Routing Header and, if it has, whether that still happens nowadays. (I guess not, but....)

I have never seen such a requirement for IPv6.

Note also that type-0 routing headers were deprecated in RFC 5095, last year.

The functionality provided by IPv6's Type 0 Routing Header can be exploited in order to achieve traffic amplification over a remote path for the purposes of generating denial-of-service traffic. This document updates the IPv6 specification to deprecate the use of IPv6 Type 0 Routing Headers, in light of this security concern.

Joe