Re: Cloud service [was: RE: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)]

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Tue Jun 24 09:37:51 2008

Source IP blocking makes up a large portion of today's spam arrest approach,
so we shouldn't discount the CPU benefits of that approach too quickly.

I'm not sure where today's technology is in regards for caching the first 1
to 10kB of a session....once enough information is garnered to block, issue
TCP RSETs. If it's good, free the contents of the cache.

What's your interest in mopping up spam in the middle of the network? Usually spam is viewed as a leaf-node problem (much to the chagrin of receivers, actually).

Regards,
Ken

--
Ken Simpson