Re: Cloud service [was: RE: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)]

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Mon Jun 23 15:20:42 2008

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
When I hear "cloud services" I think "in the network" even though it appears
all these cloud services perform their work at a data center as an
outsourced service.

Is there a vendor that makes a product that perform spam/malware filtering
literally in the network, i.e. as a service provider, can I provide spam
filtering for the enterprises in my customer base by adding a piece of
network gear?  I'm not aware of one today except those who provide
enterprise-oriented gateways like SonicWall.

dpi boxes from a number of vendors can do that sort of thing... whether they can do it fast enough to be inline with your compute cloud is another question entirely.

That said the result is fairly perilous when rejecting a message involves forging packets. and of course tls supporting mta's will be opaque to the network traffic inspecting device.

Frank