Re: P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

  • From: Blaine Fleming
  • Date: Wed Jun 18 12:20:49 2008

Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Netfortius <[email protected]> wrote:
Has anybody used (and been successful at) a bit-torrent-like agent for fast
distribution of LEGAL software (install programs of large-DVD size), across
multiple sites, all over the globe, with bad WAN connectivity? I have read a
couple of references online (e.g.
http://torrentfreak.com/university-uses-utorrent-080306/) about such, but I
am a little reluctant to do it in a corporate environment, especially in the
light of potential misuse of such ... unless finding a way to install, use
and remove the P2P agent, all in one shot ... catch 22, sort of (distributing
the P2P agent, that is :)) ...

revision3.com

And we saw how it worked out for Revision3.com. MediaDefender considered them illegal and launched a Denial of Service attack against them over Memorial Day weekend. P2P is considered illegal and wrong by people with lots of money and that makes it hard to use for legitimate services. Because MediaDefender is backed by the RIAA and similar organizations they seem to be immune to prosecution. However, if *I* did the same thing then I know I would be locked up right now.

--Blaine