Re: Cable Colors

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jun 17 17:15:43 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 01:28:38PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> The initial cable install for the pre-provisioned servers was done
> with much planning and documentation by people who did data cabling
> for a living, and was correspondingly tidy. The cables were all blue.
> Any change that was required after that was installed using a red cable.
>
> Once per week the data cabling people would return, within a posted
> window, and replace the temporary red patch cables with cut-to-length,
> tested, blue cables which were run according to the larger cabling
> strategy, and rigourously documented.

Ah yes, the 'purple wire' technique.

I forget which book it's mentioned in, but it had to do with really old
wire-wrapped computer boards.  If you had to put in such a 'hack' wire,
you did it in purple so it would stand out.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      [email protected]

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)