Re: Cable Colors

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Mon Jun 16 23:26:49 2008

> I find this interesting - as lately i've found that keeping a supply of
> various lengths of commercially-manufactured leads of appropriate colours,
> etc, has been a better long term solution than home-made leads.  Perhaps I
> just suck at crimping cables, but I prefer to use commercially made (and
> tested) leads.
>
> The drawback, of course, is when you run out of the right length and wind
> up using longer cables, which in turn makes cable management a bit of a
> mess...

Maybe we just wire in more tight places, but I find that it's somewhat
difficult to deal with more than about three excess inches when doing
in-frame wiring.  I don't want to have to deal with excess.

It is (maybe was?  haven't looked in several years) difficult to find
someplace that will manufacture quality Cat6 molded cords in arbitrary
lengths in relatively small quantities.  There's a million places that
will be happy to custom-make you Cat6 crimped or crimped+booted cables,
but if I wanted that, I could hire a monkey to make them for us at a
cheaper price.  If I'm going manufactured prefab, I want molded.

Given that, and given that the shop (where we could maintain significant
stock) is not always convenient (for ex., equipment in Ashburn, shop in
Milwaukee) the easier solution has typically been to keep a few 1000'
spools and make cables to exact length as needed.

... JG