Re: Cable Colors

  • From: Wayne E. Bouchard
  • Date: Mon Jun 16 23:05:06 2008

Oppinions vary. There really is no standard. Most important is picking
something meaningful to you.

Here, I use:

yellow    general ethernet
green     serial connection
blue      long distance ethernet (ie, going to another row)
black     crossover
red       T1s, etc
white     permenant drops to cabinets, lashed down

and brown cat3 for POTs lines

Some people use like dark blue for the first ethernet connection to a
machine and light blue for the second connection.

It really just depends on what you want to accomplish. Just pick
something tha tworks for you and stick with it.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 06:41:22PM -0400, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> JoeSox wrote:
> >Hello Newbie here (hopefully I have the correct list),
> >
> >I was just wondering if anyone knows of a website with recommended
> >colors for cables for a new datacenter?
> >I have written some things down but I don't want to get stuck saying
> >'darn, I wish I would have bought this color for this type, now I am
> >stuck'.
> >What standard color to use if voice and data on same interface etc. Thanks.
> >

> Hmm. I've always done blue for "safe" or "internal" connections, red for
> machines on the DMZ or outside.
>
> Perhaps Blue for internal data, Yellow for internal voice, Green for
> data/voice?
>
> Don't know if there's a website on this, but you can definitely read
> about it in Tom Limoncelli's The Practice of System and Network
> Administration book.
>
> Best,
> --Glenn
>
> --
> ...destination is merely a byproduct of the journey
>           --Eric Hansen

---
Wayne Bouchard
[email protected]