Re: Cable Colors

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Mon Jun 16 18:48:57 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Glenn Sieb wrote:
Hmm. I've always done blue for "safe" or "internal" connections, red for machines on the DMZ or outside.

I think this varies a lot based on the environment...

I've seen :

- Red for external ("hot"), Blue for internal ("cold")

- Red for external ("stop this"), green for internal ("go/trusted")

- Red for internal ("stop this from leaving") and green for external ("go go go to the outside world")

- A combination of the either of the last two with "Yellow" for a cautionary DMZ area

And then there's the environment I'm in right now, where there are a LOT of different cable colors for different reasons.

The reality is, from my experience, to find a color combination that makes sense to you and is intuitive to you and the people who'll be working with the cables.

Amusing cautionary tale: confirm that you don't have any color-blind staff, and if you do, make sure they can differentiate all your cable colors before you set them in stone and deploy them. :-)

cheers,