Re: Cable Colors

  • From: Glenn Sieb
  • Date: Mon Jun 16 18:41:37 2008

JoeSox wrote:
Hello Newbie here (hopefully I have the correct list),

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a website with recommended
colors for cables for a new datacenter?
I have written some things down but I don't want to get stuck saying
'darn, I wish I would have bought this color for this type, now I am
stuck'.
What standard color to use if voice and data on same interface etc. Thanks.

Hmm. I've always done blue for "safe" or "internal" connections, red for machines on the DMZ or outside.

Perhaps Blue for internal data, Yellow for internal voice, Green for data/voice?

Don't know if there's a website on this, but you can definitely read about it in Tom Limoncelli's The Practice of System and Network Administration book.

Best,
--Glenn

--
...destination is merely a byproduct of the journey
          --Eric Hansen