Re: DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Sat Jun 14 17:58:40 2008

> Mostly I think that people "approaching this from a security
> perspective only" often forget that by fencing in the(ir idea of the)
> current status quo, they often prevent beneficial evolution of
> protocols as well, contributing to the Internet's "ossification".

folk do not always get the implications of the internet being a
'disruptive technology,' and that this is a good thing which needs to be
preserved and even enhanced.  they use skype and want to block ports.

it's rampant.  the old siliness of blocking tcp/53 is just one of the
corner cases that keeps popping up publicly.  try using this year's crop
of innovative apps from behind some corporate firewall.  packet/port
xenophobia overrides the users' desire to be productive every time.  it
departments are paid to minimize cost and risk, not maximize workers'
productivity.

randy