Re: .255 addresses still not usable after all these years?

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Jun 13 18:58:48 2008

Mike Lewinski wrote:
The TCP/IP stack in Windows XP is broken in this regard, possibly in Vista as well, though I've yet to have the displeasure of finding out.

A co-worker confirms that his Vista SP1 can access our .255 router via SSH.

Aww, that's too bad.  I've long enjoyed setting loopback and other internal
device addresses to .255 -- it drastically reduced some attacks, and made
security by obscurity work better.

Not that I recommend obscurity as the only security. ;-)