Re: Best utilizing fat long pipes and large file transfer

  • From: Darren Bolding
  • Date: Thu Jun 12 20:22:47 2008

And while I certainly like open source solutions, there are plenty of
commercial products that do things to optimize this.  Depending on the type
of traffic the products do different things.  Many of the serial-byte
caching variety (e.g. Riverbed/F5) now also do connection/flow optimization
and proxying, while many of the network optimizers now are doing serial-byte
caching.

I also for a while was looking for multicast based file transfer tools, but
couldn't find any that were stable.  I'd be interested in seeing the names
of some of the projects Robert is talking about- perhaps I missed a few when
I looked.

One thing that is a simple solution?  Split the file and then send all the
parts at the same time.  This helps a fair bit, and is easy to implement.

Few things drive home the issues with TCP window scaling better than moving
a file via ftp and then via ttcp.  Sure, you don't always get all the file,
but it does get there fast!

--D

--
-- Darren Bolding --