Best utilizing fat long pipes and large file transfer

  • From: Sean Knox
  • Date: Thu Jun 12 18:37:41 2008

Hi,

I'm looking for input on the best practices for sending large files over a long fat pipe between facilities (gigabit private circuit, ~20ms RTT).
I'd like to avoid modifying TCP windows and options on end hosts where possible (I have a lot of them). I've seen products that work as "transfer stations" using "reliable UDP" to get around the windowing problem.

I'm thinking of setting up servers with optimized TCP settings to push big files around data centers but I'm curious to know how others deal with LFN+large transfers.

thanks,
Sean