Call for Presentations - AusNOG-02

  • From: James Spenceley
  • Date: Tue Jun 10 18:38:00 2008

Call for Presentations - AusNOG-02
---------------------------------
AusNOG-02 is to be held in Sydney, Australia between 21st and 22nd of
August 2008

The AusNOG meeting provides the Australian community with a forum to
exchange information and experiences on a number of issues relating to
the operation and support of networks, with a specific focus on the
coming 6-12 months. The conference is expected to have a strong
technical representation companies operating networks in Australia.

Soon information will be posted at http://www.ausnog.net with further
details, we will post back out to this list once that is done.

Submissions ------------ Please read the below carefully.

Send you proposed topics and details to [email protected] Be sure
to specify which part of the conference best suits your proposal (Topic
Sessions, Panel Discussions, Keynote Address or Peering Forum), include
a detailed overview including the expected length of your presentation.
The program committee will confirm your application and may get back to
you with questions. Please remember this is a technical event for
network operators and presentations should be representative of this.

If you feel that you have a relevant presentation please also send that
through, while we are attempting to get a certain theme running those
who attended last would recall the diversity of presentations we
received.

Important Dates
---------------
-  6 June 2008        - Call for Presentations Opens
-  4 July 2008        - Deadline for Proposals
- 11 July 2008        - Response to presentation proposals
- 18 July 2008        - Draft program published to website
- 25 July 2008        - Final program published

Presentations are Required for the Following: --------------------------------------------- Topic Sessions - Required Speakers: Variable - Number of Topics: 4

The conference will consist of 4 Topics Sessions, each running for
approximately 90 minutes. There are no fixed requirements on length of
presentation, speakers will have the opportunity to present a longer
formal presentation or a smaller lightening talk. This is your chance to
share your experiences with the industry.

The Topics Sessions selected for AusNOG-02 are.

1. Moving to higher speed. With the coming of many new submarine cable
systems in the next 12 to 18 months there will soon be a glut of cheaper
high quality bandwidth. This will bring its own issues in dealing with
the larger traffic flows in the core and at the access edge. We need
talks from people involved with routing high capacity flows, how this
occurs, lessons that were learnt, things to avoid etc.

2. Scaling services to meet demand. Broadband penetrations is reaching
its growth peak, while new user numbers will not be as high in the past
improved data plans and open ADSL2+ ports mean that users can do more -
how can services (mail, web, caching (?), NNTP etc) be scaled to meet
this rising demand. We are seeking talks from people experienced in
deploying services for growing user bases and how they have dealt with
many of these issues.

3. Back to a virtual world. Many operators currently use the outsourced
Layer 2 ports of other providers be it either dial or DSL. With FTTN a
lot more may be forced to, this will also open the door back up to the
'ISP in box' operations where ISPs head back to being infrastructure
light. We are seeking talks from people of the issues in deploying mass
LNS - good ways to do it, does open source work, etc ?

4. Regulatory, Market Data and Overseas Trends (Regulatory and Industry
Bodies Updates, Market Data and Statistics, Trends from Overseas
Markets)

Panel Discussions ----------------- - Required Panellists: 8-10 - Panel Length: 45 mins - Number of Panels: 2

Panels are the interactive part of the conference. The job of Panellists
will be to stimulate and moderate the discussion. Whether you are on the
panel or in the audience your input would be appreciated. The two Panel
Topics will be related to the industry at the time of the conference.
Propose a topics that you think will be interesting, or if you think you
are interesting, propose yourself for inclusion to the panel :-)

Keynote Addresses
- Required Speakers: 2
- Presentation Length: 45 mins
- Number of Topics: 2

We are seeking 2 speakers for Keynotes Addresses. Each Keynote will be
of 45 mins in length, including time for input from the industry. If you
would like to be considered for a Keynote topic, please email
[email protected] with details of yourself and your topic.

Peering Forum ------------- We would like to meld the peering sessions into the main conference this year as we believe that it fits well with the general higher speed mature of the requests above, as such there will be no separate peering forum at AusNOG-02. We still welcome speakers from the peering industry to put together a relevant topic for the audience.

The Organisers.