Re: Querstions about COGENT and their services...

  • From: William Herrin
  • Date: Tue Jun 03 12:25:46 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:06 PM, TS Glassey <[email protected]> wrote:
> So at one time Cogent was one of the lowest performing bandwidth providers.
> Anyone have any responses to their current operations?

They got into a spat with Telia a few months back. Severed those
portions of the Internet that they serve from each other for about a
week, disrupting all customers who depended on them exclusively.
Similar situation with Cogent and Level 3 a couple years ago. I
wouldn't count on it not to happen again.

They're dirt cheap. If you have an ability to control the routing of
your non-interactive traffic (such as email and downloads), Cogent can
save you big bucks. If you have three upstreams and one of them isn't
Cogent, you may be missing a trick.

I don't think I'd pick them as my #1 or #2.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ [email protected] [email protected]
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004