Re: Large number of DNS probes in last 24 hours

  • From: John Menerick
  • Date: Fri May 30 14:55:23 2008

I have seen this as well on my fringe IP-space networks. Just a botnet or two running along the range. A cost of doing business :\

John Menerick
http://icehax.us

On May 30, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Lynda wrote:

Jim Wise wrote:

I've seen a surprising number of attempted recursive DNS requests against unpublished non-recursive DNS servers in the last 24 hours or so, many of them obviously probes of some sort (query for "." IN NS, eg).

Is anyone else seeing this? Is it new? Or did some botnet just reach this corner of the IP space?

Yes, no, and yes. I've seen this sort of thing severe enough that I simply took the servers down for a day (yes, really), even considering the severe inconvenience that caused.

--
Die Gedanken sind frei