Re: amazonaws.com?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu May 29 15:20:45 2008

What I really, really, (really), don't understand is what is this
perverse urge to argue incessantly that spam and related do little or
no harm, are of little consequence, and nothing can be done about it
anyhow? You'd think we were discussing ways to prevent hurricanes (and
some won't even accept that there's no answer to those!)

I realize there's a little bit of one-upsmanship to just beating a
hopeless point to death (ok, fine, huge ammonium nitrate explosions
which level entire cities are worse than million+ zombie bot armies,
and superman can beat up the hulk, etc.)

Zombie bot armies et al do cause probably billions of dollars in
damages (e.g., equipment and personnel to deal with them not to
mention lost productivity by end users), undermine trust, etc.

But don't you ever stop to consider where your collective bread is
buttered before you give the public and quotable impression as
professionals that whether or not spam, phishing et al are bad is
debateable, like we were arguing creationism vs. evolution, that
there's no point in even trying to curb it, that credit cards can't
possibly work, etc?

It's one thing to give an idea a proper vetting, it's something else
to work backwards from the assumption that nothing can possibly be
done and just use reasoning like "I can think of something even worse,
so therefore it's not so bad", or "fraud has occurred in credit card
transactions, therefore credit cards cannot be viable."

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | [email protected]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide