Re: Hurricane season starts June 1: Carriers harden networks

  • From: virendra rode //
  • Date: Wed May 28 11:03:11 2008

Jared Mauch wrote:

> On May 27, 2008, at 6:47 PM, Jerry Dixon wrote:
>
>> Jared nailed it on the head.  It is absolutely critical to get to know
>> who
>> your State JFO POC is, State EOC POC, and have the National Communication
>> Systems Hotline on speed dial or at least in your cell.  They can help
>> facilitate needs such as getting human resources from your company or
>> mutual
>> aide in to help with a crisis (credentialing issues), fuel trucks, and
>> other
>> supplies as needed.
>>
>> Also you might want to check to see if your company has a govt. affairs
>> person within your organization who might all ready have a lot of this
>> info
>> and the contacts to assist.
>
>     I think there's something else to make note of.
>
>     NCS wants to make sure that a number of the ISPs and critical
> infrastructure operators have WPS/GETS available to the people who
> rightly need them.  If you're not sure, give them a ring and chat with
> them about what resources you should have at your disposal.  If there is
> a major communication disruption, this may help your operations team
> communicate.
- ----------------------------
What you briefly outlined here applies to outages effecting certain size
of customers. If so I wonder what's that magic number is? How do you
measure the impact of an outage that would require companies to issue
outages?

It would be nice for these companies to report network outages to a
central public forum (w/o bureaucracy) so end users irrespective of the
size can lookup such reports and know why their services (e-mail,
phones, etc) went down eliminating the need to open tons of trouble
tickets during a major event. This way everyone could benefit from it.

Due to such lack of information sharing outages mailing was started
for the purpose of on having outages available to the public when and where
it is most needed irrespective how big or small the company is.

Then there are others who believe that there are companies who are
protected from public disclosure like to use this protection to their
advantage as they no longer have to air their dirty laundry.

IMO, network outages needs to get to the public rather than keeping it a
secret.

Before software bugs were routinely published, network/software
companies denied their existence and wouldn't bother fixing them,
believing in the security of secrecy. If we return to a practice of
keeping these bugs secret, we'll have vulnerabilities known to a few in
the security community. Public reporting forces companies to improve
their service.

regards,
/virendra