Re: IOS Rookit: the sky isn't falling (yet)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue May 27 15:46:40 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008, [email protected] wrote:
Are you buying directly from cisco or from resellers? If you are getting counterfeit hardware directly from cisco then I guess we have real problems.

According to the FBI presentation, which may not be a reliable source for this topic, Cisco has very few "direct" customers.

Even if you think you are ordering "direct" from Cisco, e.g. www.cisco.com, the order seems to get forwarded to several primary Cisco resellers and the hardware shipped via a reseller. Even most resellers buy their Cisco products from a primary reseller or a secondary reseller, not direct from Cisco.

The FBI presentation did note that a few US Cisco customers, such as some unnamed large US telcos and unnamed intelligence agencies, do order and ship directly from Cisco.