Re: [NANOG] Fiber Cut at 60 Hudson

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Tue May 27 15:17:27 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
I've also heard contradictory information from Level3 reps on some of the above, so I'm not asserting any accuracy for it; so just FYI.

Maybe they finally got to looking into your problem and unplugged the fiber labeled 'Vermont' by accident. ;)

That's about what we experienced. After about 45 hours they finally managed to bring our service back up. :-/ Our problem is that when it did come back up (assuming on the protect side of the ring) our first hop latency to Level3 was through the roof, so we decided to keep our BGP peer shutdown until things completely cleared up. Unfortunately for us I think there is a lot of "legacy" pre-Level3 network between us in Albany and 60 Hudson/111 8th in NYC... a lot of stuff that probably isn't well documented or maintained. (thus, the 40+ hour outage)

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC