Re: [NANOG] Fiber Cut at 60 Hudson

  • From: Bill McGonigle
  • Date: Tue May 27 14:50:10 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 05:33, Robert Blayzor wrote:

Does anyone know of any NY fiber cuts going on near/around 60 Hudson
Street?  I have a Level3 DIA Gig-E that's been out for almost 36 hours
and each time I call them I get a different answer on what the problem
is and exactly how much longer this is going to take to be resolved.
We noticed this go down around 7pm EDT on Sunday and the following
morning the dark fiber we have going through 60 Hudson took a hit for
about an hour on one side of our DWDM ring...

Anyone know whats up?

FWIW, Level 3 work at 60 Hudson took out Vermont and adjacent areas on the 20th, the same day as you wrote. Quoting their explanation:

---begin quote---
Level 3 experienced a protected outage that impacted customers in Vermont. While a
fiber outage on the working side was being repaired, we experienced a module failure on
the protect side. Traffic had been switched to the protect path.
Root cause: There were 2 separate situations.
1. A working route between Albany and New York failed due to bad fiber jumpers in
at 60 Hudson and this outage was extended due to fibers being moved during
troubleshooting which needed to be re-terminated to their original assignments.
Traffic was switched to the protect path.
2. While the traffic was switched to the protect path, there was also an Optical
Amplifier card failure on an OC-48 riding the protect path through Albany, which
resulted in the outage in South Burlington, VT. Once the Field Technician arrived
with the new OA card and replaced it, traffic restored.
--- end quote ---

I've also heard contradictory information from Level3 reps on some of the above, so I'm not asserting any accuracy for it; so just FYI.

Maybe they finally got to looking into your problem and unplugged the fiber labeled 'Vermont' by accident. ;)

-Bill

-----
[email protected]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/