Re: IOS Rookit: the sky isn't falling (yet)

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Tue May 27 12:02:40 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Jared Mauch wrote:

On May 27, 2008, at 8:42 AM, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

An alternative rootkit ? Privilege level 16 used by the Lawful Intercept
[12] feature could be abused to do some of this too. Or the other way
around: use a "patched" IOS to keep an eye on Law Enforcement's >operations
on the router as privilege level 15 doesn't allow it and the only
alternative is to sniff the traffic export.

The combination of rootkits and specially privileged Lawful Intercept functions is a very dangerous one. This was precisely what was exploited in the now-legendary and still unsolved Vodafone Greece hack.

Perhaps the above should be simplified.

Running a hacked/modded IOS version is a dangerous prospect.

This seems like such a non-event because what is the exploit path to load the image? There needs to be a primary exploit to load the malware image.

*yawn*

I guess we will wait for the next one before waking up, than.

- Jared

Gadi.