Re: Same AS number from different location and Migration of IP addresses

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Sat May 24 09:15:12 2008

On May 23, 2008, at 8:15 PM, devang patel wrote:

Hello,

Is that okay to use Same AS number for the two different site on different
location?

To answer this specific question, Autonomous Systems should be topologically convex.
This means, at the Internet interdomain routing (BGP) level, that packets
cannot leave an AS in one place to get to locations in the same AS in some other place.

So, to put two sites on one AS, there should be an internal connection between them, which can be done
through your internal network, by a direct connection, or by a tunnel. Traffic might come to
the AS at either site, and has to be routed internally to get to the other.

See RFC 1930 and the material linked to in the other posts.

Regards
Marshall

as well as any good documentation or link or deployment scenario where I can
find the merging of two different AS into one AS?

As well as what to do if I have an IP addresses as a service provider
dependent block and want to migrate IP addressing to the IANA assigned ip
addresses?
how can i achieve that?

regards
Devang Patel