Re: Hauling gear around a NANOG meeting

  • From: Chip Marshall
  • Date: Thu May 22 17:15:39 2008

On May 22, 2008, Rod Beck sent me the following:
> I hate to break the news to the New York bashers, but New York is one
> of the safest American cities. This is not a controversial statement.
>
> New York has a lower incidence of crime than Miami, Detroit, Seattle,
> Los Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia.
>
> http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/chapter09_files/sheet002.htm
>
> I refuse to go to NANOG events in Florida - now there is a dangerous
> place as well as a foreign country ...

Interesting data, but potentially skewed due to population differences.
New York City's metropolitan area population is 18,818,536, whereas
Miami is only 5,919,036.

Miami:	7116.2 per 100,000 = 0.071162 crimes per person
	0.071162 * 5919036 = 421,210.44 crimes

NYC:	2771.0 per 100,000 = 0.02771 crimes per person
	0.02771 * 18818536 = 521,461.63 crimes

So it's not really that there is less crime, there's just less chance of
a particular person being the perpetrator or victim.

Also, my population numbers are based on 2006 data provided by
Wikipedia, and therefore are not to be trusted.

--
Chip Marshall
System Administrator