Re: Hauling gear around a NANOG meeting

  • From: Lynda
  • Date: Thu May 22 14:02:53 2008

Joe Maimon wrote:

Looking for some advice for a first-timer.

What are your recommendation regarding gear?
[snippy]
- the whole normal kit&caboodle, wheeled backpack thing

Personally, I'd go with the latter. I've done it all, from backpack (that'll start to be a nuisance, trust me) to laptop only, to a small square cart thing (I don't remember what they're called) that I could dump the laptop and various stuffs in.

My current bag is swiss army (I *love* it), can hold two laptops if necessary (and I've been there), and whatever else I think I might need, depending on the conference/meeting/work assignment that I'm involved with. I even carry a tool set, for stuffing in checked luggage when flying, and patch cables, but for you, that's probably overkill.

One of the things that makes me popular is that I carry a PowerSquid (one of the best inventions *evaire*), just in case.

The case is easier on your back, has nice handles, and even a shoulder strap, if you need them, has pockets and compartments forever, and fits in the overhead. I think it's called a Victorinox.

--
Die Gedanken sind frei