RE: Splitting ARIN assignment

  • From: Ben Butler
  • Date: Thu May 22 12:59:26 2008

Hi,

I do appreciate real life is often more complex than high flying ideals.
But aggregation and general good practice would mean in an ideal world
you would invest in the internal infrastructure to connect your data
centres together with a network and run an IGP+iBGP plus advertise the
/21 eBGP at both sites to upstreams.  It could be argued that the cost
of building the network to run your AS is part and parcel of the expense
of opening new datacenter - rather than this ever increasing route table
growth.

Plus if you de-aggregate as intended you can not announce a covering
route for the /21 due to no internal connectivity and if this puts the
/22 under the minimum allocation size for the RIR block your IP space
comes from then don't be surprised when it gets filtered out and people
end up having to accept no routing to your network at all or, sum
optimal via a default.

But life is rarely as simple as ideals.

My 2e

Ben