Re: [NANOG] Multihoming for small frys?

  • From: Sean Figgins
  • Date: Wed May 21 17:52:09 2008

Seth Mattinen wrote:

About two years ago, maybe less, Sprint was doing some maintenance in California and was moving stuff through an alternate path in Arizona. However, while the CA path was off, someone took a backhoe to the AZ path. Neither the planned outage, the cut, nor myself were in the same state (I'm in Nevada). It didn't matter how many circuits I had with Sprint, because none of them worked, including my Sprint cell phone. However, I was still on the air because my other providers were unaffected.

I've been in a situation before where circuits with two different providers were both taken out by the same fiber cut. These were large long-haul circuits.

I've had another situation where two circuits out of Charlotte, NC ended up in the same bundle in Virginia, even though they were one was going to Atlanta, and another was headed to DC, through two different providers. One provider bought the bundle from someone, and leased part of it to another company, who sublet it to another company, that provided service to the the carrier that provided us the service. Kicker was that I think it was originally our fiber.

Of course, these are circuits, not internet traffic. With todays' large networks, it's really hard to completely isolate any given city. Oh sure, it can happen, and some cities are unpopular, and don't hardly qualify for IP service, so diversity is hard to justify, but most cities have at least two, if not three or more paths out.

-Sean