Re: [NANOG] IOS rootkits

  • From: Buhrmaster, Gary
  • Date: Mon May 19 15:42:13 2008

> I understand *why* we are worried about rootkits on
> individual servers.
> On essentially "closed" platforms this isn't going to be
> rocket science.
> It may seem odd by today's BCPs, but booting up from "golden"
> images via
> write-protected  hardware or TFTP or similar is pretty
> straightforward

Since todays bootstrap codes are in EEPROM (or
equivalent), if you get "root" once, you can
have "root" forever.  Faking file system content
(and real time replacing of code) is the core
of any current (good) Linux/Mac/Windows rootkit.
Cisco/Juniper/Force10/whatever is just another
platform to do the same if you can replace the
bootstrap.  Modular IOS might even make it
easier to do dynamic code insertion.

There are platforms (Xbox?, Tivo?, etc.) that try
to do cryptographic validation of the code they
are loading.  Network devices are not yet doing
a true cryptograhic validation as far as I know,
although one could imagine that that might be a
next step to protect against that specific threat
(although I seem to recall that bypassing the Xbox
validations only took a few months, so it is harder
than it first appears to get right).

Gary