Re: [NANOG] IOS rootkits

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Sun May 18 17:14:39 2008

Dragos Ruiu wrote:

> First of all about prevention, I'm not at all sure about this being
> covered by existing router security planning / BCP.
> I don't believe most operators reflash their routers periodically, nor
> check existing images (particularly because the tools for this
> integrity verification don't even exist). If I'm wrong about this I
> would love to be corrected with pointers to the tools.

I have 6 years worth of rancid logs for every time the reported number
of blocks in use on my flash changes, I imagine others do as well.
That's hardly the silver bullet however.

We as I imagine others do expended a fair amount of cycles monitoring
who it is that our routers are talking to and protecting the integrity
of the communications channels that they use (bgp, ospf, ssh, tftp etc),
If a router has a tcp connection to someplace it shouldn't we'll
probably know about it. If it's announcing a prefix it shouldn't be,
we'll probably know about it, those are the easy ones though.

There are some things one might consider adding in terms of auditing,
comparing the running image more closely to the one in flash for
example, peroidic checksum of the on onflash image, after downloading to
another host would be another. I'm not sure that I'd trust the later
given the rooted box can I suppose hand you an unmodified version of the
subverted image.

In the end if you subvert a router, presumably you're doing it for a
purpose and given what the device does, that purpose is probably
detectable in a well instrumented network.

It is desirable I expect to insure that any locally stored security
credentials that might be subverted not be usable when connecting to
another router, that applies in a absence of root kits however.