Re: [NANOG] US DoD receives chunked IPv6 /13 (14x /22 but not totally consecutive)

  • From: Christopher Morrow
  • Date: Fri May 16 15:23:05 2008

<apply hip waders>
Please keep the political rhetoric off-list, thanks.
</apply hip waders>

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Jeroen Massar <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As everybody is a big fan of securing their networks against foreign
> attacks, be aware that the US DoD has been assigned 14 /22's, IPv6 that
> is, not IPv4, they all come from a single IPv6 /13 though, which is what
> they apparently asked for in the beginning, at least that was the rumor,
> well they got what they wanted.

So, someone else pointed out that the DoD isn't one org, really. There
are several groups/orgs under DoD, there are several groups nested
under each of those groups, and depending upon the network
architecture/topology used it's fully possible that one route
announcement isn't practical for this Org.

What I think we should worry about is a larger portion of that Org
with a large enough part of one of the  /22's doing something silly
like: "redistribute connected" ... (which they could, of course, have
done with any/all of their /8's -> /16's in ipv4 as well...)

-Chris