Re: [NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

  • From: Nathan Anderson/FSR
  • Date: Wed May 07 17:47:59 2008

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> The problem is in the direction from M$ to you, so you can't fix that
> from your end. I wonder if they've installed SP3 on their servers...

Ah, you are right.  I re-read the section on black-hole detection in
more closely this time, and found that, yes, it only helps if the host
trying to send the large packets has the feature enabled:

"When PMTU black hole router detection is enabled, TCP tries to send
segments with the DF flag set to 0 after several retransmissions of a
segment are not acknowledged. If a segment with the DF flag set to 0 is
acknowledged, the MSS is decreased and the DF flag is set to 1 in
subsequent segments on the connection. Enabling PMTU black hole
detection increases the maximum number of retransmissions that are
performed for a given segment, and therefore has an effect on overall
performance."

I for some reason interpreted the advertisement of the black hole
detection feature as being a help to clients impacted by the inability
of the server to perform PMTUD.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC