Re: [NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

  • From: Nathan Anderson/FSR
  • Date: Tue May 06 21:18:21 2008

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

> Interestingly, Windows XP, Sp3, released today, describes changes in
> PMTUD behavior.
>
> Black Hole Router detection is now on by default:

As I pointed out in my post earlier today timestamped at 2:29PM, I was
using an XP SP3 host to perform my tests with, and it made no
difference.  I also used BBR's DrTCP application to make sure that black
hole router detection was, in fact, enabled on my XP box before
commencing my packet captures.

I cannot explain why it made no difference, but at the same time I don't
know enough about how WinNT's black hole router detection works to begin
speculating at this point.  I do plan on looking into it, however.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC