Re: [NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

  • From: Robert Bonomi
  • Date: Tue May 06 18:54:07 2008

`

> Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 14:29:03 -0700
> From: Nathan Anderson/FSR <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?
>

> Now, although that makes sense, in order to avoid issues like the one we
> are facing with Microsoft, would it not make _more_ sense for the stack
> to look at the PMTU cache first, and then adjust its own MSS just for
> connections to that one host?

This _is_ Microsoft we're talking about, remember.  'sense' and 'Microsoft'
are, at a =minimum= orthogonal to each other -- and may not even inhabit
the same address-space. <wry grin>

As for standards, it is official Microsoft policy to "embrace and extend",
not to implement in a way compatible with the rest of the world.   *sigh*

I -don't- believe the rumor that "PMTUD/Vista Ultimate" sends incrementally
increasing-size packets, and uses the first one that -doesn't- get through
as the size limit.     <giggle>