Re: [NANOG] OSPF minutia, and, technote publication venues

  • From: David Andersen
  • Date: Mon May 05 13:18:04 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> But yes, Joe's ISC TechNote is an excellent document, and was a big
>> help
>> in figuring out how to set this up a few years ago.
>
> and now for something completely different -- where in the
> interpipes could
> a document like that have been published, vs. ISC's web site?  the
> amount
> of red tape and delay involved in Usenix or IETF or IEEE or ACM are
> vastly
> more than most smart ops people are willing to put in.  where is the
> light /
> middle weight class, or is every organization or person who wants to
> publish
> this kind of thing going to continue to have the exclusive and bad
> choice of
> "blog it, or write an article for ;login:/ACM-Queue/Circle-ID, or
> write an
> academic paper and wait ten months"?  isn't this a job for... NANOG?

If you're asking seriously:  arXiv.org is a pretty reasonable
candidate for less-formal but more-public publication of things like
Joe's TechNote.

It's taken off seriously in physics, but  I don't know anyone who uses
it seriously for computer science stuff.  Probably because our
conferences have much faster turnaround than most discipline's
journals do.  But arXiv exists, it'll probably be around for a while,
and it provides a reasonable starting point for hosting and citing the
documents...

   -Dave