Re: [NANOG] fair warning: less than 1000 days left to IPv4 exhaustion

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sun May 04 23:23:26 2008

On May 4, 2008, at 11:01 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> On May 3, 2008, at 8:37 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> William Warren wrote:
>>> That also doesn't take into account how many /8's are being hoarded
>>> by
>>> organizations that don't need even 25% of that space.
>> which one's would those be?
>
> While I wouldn't call it hoarding, can any single (non-ISP)
> organization actually justify a /8?  How many students does MIT have
> again?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Institute_of_Technology#Student_demographics

<quote>
MIT enrolls more graduate students (approximately 6,000 in total) than
undergraduates (approximately 4,000).
</quote>

Let's assume 2 staff/faculty per student (don't we wish :).  So that
would be 30K total.  Let's further assume 100 IP addresses per student
to deal with laptops, server, other computers, routers, etc.  We're
now at 330K.

That's no where near 25% of the /8 they have.  Good thing they are
announcing a /15, /16, and a /24* originated from their ASN too.

Just so we are clear, I have no idea how many servers, computers, or
other things MIT might have to justify a /8, /15, /16, and /24.  I'm
just pointing out the number of students alone clearly doesn't justify
their IP space.

UCLA, where the Internet was invented, only has 5x/16 + 2x/24.
Obviously they're so much smarter they can utilize IP space better.
(No, I'm not saying that just 'cause I went to UCLA. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick

*  18.0.0.0